February 19th, 2009


Apple - new MacBook Pro (y/n)?

My MacBook is starting to drive me crazy. It's sluggish... like a wet sponge when i do srs bsns (parallels is PAINFUL to use). Of course, I could reload the OS and all my applications and all my data and probably improve things a tit.

But... I also hate, hate, hate, hate the screen resolution on the MacBook. I don't have enough room for all my things! It's painfully noticeable when I go to my ThinkPad with its wondermous 1600x1200 screen resolution. So if I'm hating on it anyway, why waste time and effort reloading it if I might be happier replacing and selling it?

Of course, I know the moment I buy a MacBook Pro, knowing Apple's marketing prowess, they'll release one with a battery powered by baby seal tears that lasts 2 days, like a mere month after I get a new one.

Anywho... I don't follow all the Mac forums and whatnot, so I dunno if it's a good idea to get one now or wait (plus everyone is so enamored by everything Apple, it's hard to find objective info sometimes).

I'm also interested in what you guys think about the 2.53 gHz model v. the 2.4. It's a ridonkulous $500 more, so I'm leaning heavily towards 2.4 considering how expensive Apple notebooks are to begin with.

Seems like double the cache,double RAM, and 7200 rpm drive might be the only things worth anything. I know a CPU increase of .13 is going to be hardly noticeable, if noticeable at all. Are those 3 things worth $500? I'm perfectly comfortable replacing the RAM myself if it really needs 4 gb, but I'm thinking 2 will suffice for a while. There are a lot of forum discussions about this topic, but it largely seems to be people trying to justify their own purchase decisions rather than objective info, so kind of looking for some real world advice from power users.

Any thoughts from my crazy Maciphile friends?

I have 4 hours and 5 minutes to decide in order to have Amazon have it to me tomorrow! XD

[edit: based on all the info, I pulled the trigger on the 2.4. she gets here tomorrow!]